Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sharing Cultures

    9 days until I fly to the other side of the Earth and we are so excited. I wanted to share what we have been doing in our classroom here in the United States as I prepare for China. We have been reading numerous books about China that we found in our school library and watched a video narrated by a young girl living in China called Ancient China from Dynasty to Destiny from Discover Education Streaming.  The class compared and contrasted the United States and China using a venn diagram.  We also turned our classroom door into a Chinese palace door symbolizing the "luck" of the color red and the number nine which mean "still achieving".  They then chose things that meant good luck to them and added them to the door as well.  The students are also continuing there work on a book of our culture to share and one group even created a video about our school and class. We are all very excited and the class can not wait for my videos and pictures from our tours in China, as well as Skyping together while I am over there.  
Our "palace" door with student's good luck charms added

4 comments:

  1. This is so great! I cannot believe all the creative and smart ways you have found to integrate this trip and conference into your classroom. You are an excellent teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cathy O. We can all say the same about you! We are so lucky to be sharing this wonderful experience with so many amazing educators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting, Jami! I loved the video too--what a great way to get your students involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the video, I can think of a gift you can bring back that I believe they have a lot of in China! I am getting excited myself. See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete