Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City

    We visited the largest city square in the world.  The Tiananmen Square has great cultural significance as it was the site of several important events in Chinese history.  The Tiananmen Gate to the Forbidden City was built in 1415 during the Ming Dynasty.  There were several guards all around and many other visitors sightseeing. The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming Dynasty to the end of the Qing Dynasty.  It was very interesting hearing about all the history of these places.  The Forbidden City was built before anything was ever even discovered on our continent. We were taking lots of pictures and there were several Chinese people who wanted their picture taken with us. Also, while we were taking a group picture we had many strangers snapping pictures of us as well. It was kind of strange.  The Forbidden City is called so because it used to be that the common folk were forbidden to enter.  It is very beautiful and many signs of the symbolism of the culture.  I saw many doors like we'd made our classroom door into.   After leaving the Forbidden City there are several vendors outside the gates waiting to sell you things.  This is where I purchased my souveniers to bring back to my students.  However, after purchasing the gifts the vendor wanted me to buy more things and would not leave me alone when I refused.  I finally rushed off to catch up with my group and she actually chased after me.  She continued to follow us for almost a half mile back to our bus, it was rather funny.
  

1 comment: